Thursday, March 1, 2007

Holyfield, 44, eyes return to the top

NEW YORK - EVANDER Holyfield is trying to do more than become the first five-time heavyweight champion.

At 44 years old, he is trying to show he is still a force, less than three years after New York boxing officials revoked his licence because of diminished skills and poor performance.

'I want to be the undisputed heavyweight champion again,' he said on Tuesday.

He began his comeback last year with two wins, and will next fight Vinny Maddalone on March 17 in Corpus Christi, Texas.

Holyfield (40 wins, eight draws, two losses, 26 knockouts) is treating the fight as part of his effort to unify the heavyweight titles, and retire next year.

It has been nearly 17 years since he held the undisputed title, after he defeated James 'Buster' Douglas - holder of the International Boxing Federation, World Boxing Council and World Boxing Association crowns - in three rounds.

He said: 'My mother taught me you have to have a beginning, and you have to have an end.

'She said, 'What is your end?' I said, 'My end is to be the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world'.

'In my 35-year career, I'm just trying to end like I'm supposed to.'

How does his family feel about his return to the ring?

'I don't ask them that question,' he said. 'I would think they know that there's nothing I'm going to do that I'm not going to prepare myself for.'

ASSOCIATED PRESS

No comments: